Search This Blog

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Post 6 The Man Who Believed in Me

Big image
Mentors - I wouldn't be where I am today, if it weren't for the mentors that I've had in my life. I've have mentors for different areas in my life, but here I am just going to focus on one mentor who helped me educationally and career wise. Dr. Albert Eyde, the Director of the American High School in Guayaquil, Ecuador, was my principal. All of us girls had a massive crush on him because he was so good looking. He smoke an aromatic pipe which added to his Hollywood type of elegance and allure. He saw me doing presentations and spotted potential as a teacher in me. He encouraged me to pursue education. When I came back after 3 gap years, where I travelled around South American and Europe, he asked me to come teach at the American school. I was called an instructional assistant, since I didn't have a college degree, but I was teaching classes on my own. He also offered me a scholarship to attend the night time American community college. I did that for a year and he felt that I would get further if I came to the US to finish my studies.  During my studies in NJ, he secured a scholarship for me and a home to live in. He also secured a job for me so that I could pay for my expenses. He did this again, when I transferred to The University of South Carolina as a Junior. He always checked in on me and had encouraging words letting me know that he believed in me. His dream for me was that I would be an educator. I'm glad that he laid the groundwork for me to achieve his dream, even when it wasn't my dream. Dr. Eyde is no longer on this earth but I was able to thank him for making it possible for me to get a great education in the United States. He had the satisfaction to know that I became a teacher.

This blogpost is my tribute to my mentor, Dr. Albert Eyde.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is amazing that he did all of that for you. What an example he set for how to be a caring teacher.

    ReplyDelete